NEC3 and NEC4 Compared – ECC
NEC3 has made a significant contribution to the engineering and construction industry in particular, to do things differently and better. It is 12 years since NEC3 was published, and through a network of more than 300 companies who are regularly engaged via the NEC3 Users’ Group, and from clients generally, the NEC team has received feedback and requests for features and contract solutions to support on-going improvement.
NEC4 has taken the successful NEC3 contract suite and enhanced it, with some new features and some new forms of contract. All of the changes are a direct result of feedback from industry, to support methods and provide solutions which clients are demanding.
Approximately 60-75 minutes.
The length of time taken varies depending on how quickly individuals study and absorb the material.
Please note that the licence is valid for 6 months only from date of purchase.
Successful completion of this course will award you 15 credit points toward your Online Academy qualification.
Session 1 - New contracts
- NEC4 Design Build and Operate Contract (DBOC)
- NEC4 Alliance Contract
- NEC4 Professional Service Subcontract (PSS)
- NEC4 Term Service Subcontract (TSS)
- NEC4 Dispute Resolution Service Contract (DRSC)
Session 2 - Improvements in main contracts
- BIM Option X10
- Contractor’s design and build Option X15
- Dispute Avoidance Board Option W3
- Finality of assessments
- Contractor’s proposals
Session 3 - Other improvements
- Disputes to Senior Representatives first (W1/W2), greater standardisation, neutral gender, liabilities not risks in section8
- Undertakings to Others, bribery and corruption clauses, confidentiality and publicity clauses, transfer of benefit clauses, quality management, additional compensation events, new termination secondary Option X11
- Applications for payment, ECI X22, ultimate holding company guarantee, X12 multiparty collaboration, programme changes, compensation event changes, new look Contract Data
- Changes to Schedules of Cost Components
- Other changes to TSC, PSC and SC
Session 4 - Test
Session 5 - Next steps
- Products and services available from NEC
The particular emphasis of this module is comparisons between the NEC3 Engineering and Construction Contract and the NEC4 Engineering and Construction Contract (ECC). Delegates attending this course should therefore have some knowledge and experience with NEC contracts in action.
Those wishing to refresh their knowledge first should look at the Introduction to NEC4 online training course.
This course is highly recommended for:
- Users of NEC3 contracts keen to see how the contracts have developed into the new edition as well as the new functionality on offer – including the new contracts.
It is designed for those who work with any of the NEC contracts including:
- Project managers
- Contract managers
- Service managers
- Procurement managers
- Quantity surveyors
- Contractors and their supply chain