The NEC3 Engineering and Construction Contract is the core document from which the options A-F are extracted. It contains all core clauses and secondary option clauses, together with the schedules of cost components and forms for contract data.
Early Contractor Involvement (ECI)
NEC has developed an additional clause to be used with the NEC3 Engineering and Construction Contract (ECC) Options C and E where an Early Contractor Involvement (ECI) approach is required. This additional clause is aimed at promoting collaboration through the whole project, and sharing the benefits gained through collaboration.
Find out more about the clause.
Download the clause free of charge.
[NEW] A how to guide for the ECI Clause is now available.
The purpose of this guide is to help users implement an early contractor involvement (ECI) approach using the NEC3 Engineering and Construction Contract (ECC). This document also provides a model clause and guidance to allow for ECI using the ECC.
Available Formats: eView and ePrint.
Click here to purchase your copy.
Construction Clients' Board endorsement of NEC3
The Construction Clients' Board (formerly Public Sector Clients' Forum) recommends that public sector organisations use the NEC3 contracts when procuring construction.
Standardising use of this comprehensive suite of contracts should help to deliver efficiencies across the public sector and promote behaviours in line with the principles of Achieving Excellence in Construction.
• 1 General
• 2 The Contractor’s main responsibilities
• 3 Time
• 4 Testing and Defects
• 5 Payment
• 6 Compensation events
• 7 Title
• 8 Risks and insurance
• 9 Termination
Main option clauses
• A Priced contract with activity schedule
• B Priced contract with bill of quantities
• C Target contract with activity schedule
• D Target contract with bill of quantities
• E Cost reimbursable contract
• F Management contract
• Option W1
• Option W2
Secondary option clauses
• X1 Price adjustment for inflation
• X2 Changes in the law
• X3 Multiple currencies
• X4 Parent company guarantee
• X5 Sectional Completion
• X6 Bonus for early Completion
• X7 Delay damages
• X12 Partnering
• X13 Performance bond
• X14 Advanced payment to the Contractor
• X15 Limitation of the Contractor’s liability for his design to reasonable skill and care
• X16 Retention
• X17 Low performance damages
• X18 Limitation of liability
• Y(UK)2 The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
• Y(UK)3 The Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999
• Z Additional conditions of contract
Note: Options X8 to X11 and Y(UK)1 are not used
Schedule of Cost Components
Shorter Schedule of Cost Components
Users should note that the NEC Forms of Contract are protected by copyright and may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical or photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner. However, Contract Data forms may be reproduced for the purpose of obtaining tenders, awarding and administering contracts.
Likewise, plagiarising any copyrighted document is illegal. For users seeking to prepare their own bespoke contracts based on the NEC Forms of Contract, please contact NEC at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss and obtain a copyright licence.